16 January 2012

You'd think I'd remember this shi... stuff...

So maybe it's psychosomatic (and maybe I horribly misspelled that, but not feeling like caring right now), but every time I stop and think "hey, you know- I've not been sick in quite a while. Cool!"... I soon come down with a nasty bug.

I'm not given to being sick often, even with my wife working with young children and coming home with all manner of interesting bugs all the time.

It's just like the last time I took a plane ride with the wife- I looked out the window at the baggage handlers and remarked "you know, it really is amazing how they've never lost my bags."

She just looked at me, shook her head dismissively, and said "You just HAVE to tempt fate, don't you?"

Sure as shit- they lost EVERY damned one of our bags. Mine. The wife's. The BSE bag for our then 6-month old child.

Did I mention this was also the weekend of the big reception shindig her family was throwing for our recent marriage? (honestly, they might as well have saved the money and we might as well not have gotten married, but that's an entirely OTHER discussion!)

So, yes- I seem to have the uncanny ability to make stuff happen, just by remarking how it's never happened. Fate, much?

I remarked to myself back in late December, right after Christmas, that I hadn't been sick in a long time- and how fortunate it was, since I'd just started with a new company after having done 6 months on a contract-to-hire "audition" for my new IT gig.

sure enough- 3 days later on the way back to work after picking up the wife and kid at  her work and shuttling them home- I start coming down with this massive stomach and backache, and then spend the next week and a half with a stomach flu. Thankfully, it was light on the "stomach" part, but tripled down on the body aches. I was literally taking 4 ibuprofen every 6 hours just so I could stand up. Yes, I know that's not healthy. I literally felt like I'd been kicked by a mule- I'd have considered drinking heavily had I thought it would have helped.

Got over that, finally, Friday last. Felt ok till abotu wednesday, and now I've got a damned head cold. Sneezing/wheezing/coughing my head off, but it's not gotten into my lungs and there's no sign of actual infection, so I'm just OTC'ing it.

Yes, probably all TMFI, but explains why I'm not getting as much done as I would like. I've been trying to turn over a new leaf with regard to tasks around the house, but it's difficult to do when you're ill. Yes, I know the wife troops on and does her stuff round the house when she's ill. I admit I'm a big baby when I'm sick. Shut up. ;P

On top of it all, I need to have dental surgery soon, as I have a broken and impacted wisdom tooth. It's not hurting, and I am fresh out of leave on the books, so it has to wait- the new company doesn't have a policy in place to let you go arrears on leave, and I'll only be out 3 days so it's not even long enough for STD to kick in. I'd had everything in place to have it done 31JAN, take that Wed-Fri off and have a weekend buffer in place, but that's not going to fly now. Next holiday weekend when I'll have sufficient leave is Memorial Day. I had planned to have The Big Snip that weekend, but it'll have to wait. I'm understandably not too upset about that. (Ladies, if you're wondering what The Big Snip is, read that sentence out to your 40-something male friends, and watch them cringe. Got it?)

Hopefully Fate's had her fun here, and I can get back to feeling well soon. Does the inverse work?

"Wow, it's been a long time since I felt great!"

No comments: