18 December 2011

It's amazing how people change...

(this was stuck in my "Draft" folder for months owing to the previous issues I had with Blogger.... I'll post it now) I've had this on my mind for a while now... it won't be long, but perhaps too boring and offputting to post here. No matter, it's my "house"... but I will keep it brief, thanks in large part to a screwy "f" key...

About 2 years ago, when I started this blog, I said that among other things, I support the right of a woman to choose, meaning I supported an individual woman's right to abort her unwanted or imperfect fetus.

I do still support a woman's right to choice - however, there's more to it than I thought...

...shortly after I began this blog I started looking into various and sundry other interests, which I'll not go into in depth. Let's just say, I am VERY eclectic. Getting down the rabbithole on a wikipedia and google search session on some topic or other, I came across a turn o phrase which I think can be parlayed into the above - "safe, sane, and consentual". Something "clicked" and I've been mulling over the repurcussions of those words for quite some time now, in varying applications.

Abortion? SSC check:
-Safe? Well, at the very basis of it all, someone's dieing during it, so that's a fail...
-Sane? Again- while you're not mowing down toddlers, you ARE killing a creature. Some make the distinction that it's not sentient, not truly homo sapiens sapiens... so, my sleep-addled brain comes back with "so then, it's ok to mow down a random animal that will never be sentient? No? Fail..."
-Consentual? See above, re: sentience. This is required for informed consent. Just as you can't ask a prairie dog to give an inormed opinion on anything (animal brains versus human brains notwithstanding), you can't get informed consent from a fetus... honestly I am too tired to go too deeply into this part now- but since we've already failed the other two, I'm thinking that's worthy of a full sop on the abortion thing.

So yeah- I've changed my mind. Pro-lifers, though we share a drastically different view o the world in many ways (church among them, though I have a respect for several churches and in fact have even been reading scripture)... gonna have to say I am on the pro-life side of this, with some select reservations I am still mulling over. More on that at some point in the future, in case I haven't run you all off. For now, I need sleep, and this keyboard sucks.

I will add that, though I still identiy as pagan(ish), I have no love for liberals, gun-grabbers (hey, used to be in their camp, too!), the scent of patchouli, unwashed/shaved hippie women, or Ron Paul.

That is all. Presently....

2 comments:

Ms. Serena said...

I have specific person positions on the matter of abortion. I would have said I am pro-life until speaking with my father, whom I share the same views with, and he tweaked my perspective on what to call my actual stance, though it has not actually changed.

I am pro-choice. I believe every female (because let's face it, there are girls getting pregnant, too) have the God given right to choose to have sex. I believe in a person's right to agency, meaning they have the right and responsibility to make their own choices, and live with the consequences (good or bad) of those decisions. If the choice to have sex is taken away from a woman and there is a pregnancy, she should have a choice about how to proceed from there.

My official stance is that except in cases of rape, incest, the mother's health, or if the fetus is guaranteed to die pre-term, it's not ok to have an abortion. All other cases basically boil down to someone not owning up to the responsibility and consequences of having sex, using it as a form of birth control.

It's not to say that all victims who have had their choice to procreate taken away will abort the lives growing inside them. Some will keep, some may choose to give them up for adoption. Those choices are intimately tender, and should be between the woman, her family, and God. I hope I never have to be in that situation myself.

(I have been told that true conservatives don't approve abortion in any circumstances whatsoever, so I guess I am not REALLY a true pro-lifer or a true conservative. It's ok, I have been calling myself a moderate conservative for a long long time now :-p)

JAFO said...

I like that outlook on it. I think it's one that I could get behind...