16 January 2010

Yaaaay, beer!

(with apologies to Red Stripe)

Picked up a Mr Beer kit today at the local kitchen supply place. It took all of 30 minutes to sanitize the equipment and start my first batch of beer going. In 2 weeks I will be able to bottle it, and I am going to *TRY* to wait at least two weeks after that till I drink it.

First batch is the standard West Coast Pale Ale- I'm not a huge fan of pales, but you don't get a choice as the pale is what comes with the kit first off. My next batch will be an Irish Red (think "Killian's") followed perhaps by a German Hefeweisen (if it comes out anything like Paulaner Hefeweissen Dunkle, the person who came up with this kit is my new best friend).

One can also brew their own hard cider in the same kit- or rootbeer. I am not a huge fan of rootbeer, but the wife and kid are- I may have to surprise them with a batch.

I grabbed a twelver of a local brewerie's sampler pack last night, and had two beers out of it (strictly to save the bottle, don'tchaknow). I am now a little hung over- WTF?!?!

The two gallons of beer I have on brew are gonna last me a bit, I think :)

No comments: